Blog Archive

Monday, July 13, 2015

SILENT SEPARATION Drama Vs Movie


You Are My Sunshine


I don't think there is any need to introduce this novel to anyone but for the heck of it let me provide a succinct synopsis for the new readers. The book is about Zhao Mosheng and He Yichen. Mosheng who fell in love at the first sight with Yichen in the university, after persistently persevering for a period of time finally managed to score a goal in his heart. Yichen, a seemingly perfect guy with a bright future, though slowly but gradually also started liking her. but due to misunderstandings caused by He Yimei (sworn sister of Yichen), complex past of Yichen and Mosheng's insecurities about their relationship, they end up getting separated for seven years. During this period Mosheng goes to U.S. and becomes a professional photographer and Yichen becomes a successful lawyer in China. After seven years when they meet, their life gets tangled again. They pass through a difficult angst and passion filled path to clear up their past misunderstandings but with the lingering love in their heart towards each other they finally get back together, both physically and emotionally.  

What's touching about this story is the strong unspoken love Yichen has for Mosheng. Unlike her he never talks or shows his emotions but he willingly waits for her silently for seven years, hoping to meet her once again. And had she not come back, he would have waited for her through out his life. 



In the drama, characters of Yichen and Mosheng were played by Wallace Chung and Tiffany Tang respectively. And boy, was that a right choice or what. I feel as if Yichen was custom written for Wallace Chung. Tiffany Tang as Mosheng, though not as good as Wallace but still was fine. Their chemistry was super sizzling, the passion, the hatred, the love, their pain each and every emotion was displayed on their face and in their body language. Drama also has some really good actors playing supporting roles, making it all the more watch-worthy. 


In the movie Yichen is played by Huang Xiaoming and Mosheng by Yang Mi. HXM without any doubt is very handsome but seeing him play a teenager going to college, was really too much for my eyes. As it is, it's going to be hard for any actor to step into Wallace's shoes for Yichen but letting HXM do so was an utter disaster.  Personally, i really like Yang Mi. So far i have always liked her work. In this movie also she has not disappointed me. Her mosheng was neither at par nor subjugated by Tiffany's mosheng. And since HXM and YM both are beautiful people thus they looked aesthetically very appealing together. but that's all there it is to their chemistry. 


The screenplay of the movie itself was very weak. In order to abridge the story, the writer has cut down some really important scenes while keeping some useless scenes. for example:  in the novel after their so called marriage when Mosheng felt neglected and unacknowledged by Yichen and in her troubled state of mind ends up getting a really weird hairstyle. this provided a much needed comic relief at an angst-filled point of the story. rather than having a scene like this the movie showed a shirtless HXM swimming laps after laps to curb down his anger (this may appeal to some but not to me.)

As far as the supporting  characters are concerned i don't know where to start. the movie has angelababy (real life wife of HXM) casted as Yimei and Tong Dawei as Ying Hui. the total screen time for both the characters was 3 and 5 minutes respectively. Which renders me completely unable to form an opinion about Angelababy but Tong Dawei for sure has done a better job than Tan kai (actor who played Ying Hui in the drama). Then there's Tao (Member of the korean idol band EXO). I am not so sure about what exactly was his role in the movie. In one scene you will find him giving medicines to HXM and in another as bar tender in a bar where HXM is boozing and in the next scene he joins HXM's law firm gang when they visit HXM's home for the first time post his wedding to Mosheng.....I am so puzzled. 


I can only conclude this article with one statement: was the director duo Yang Wenjun and Huang Bin paid heftily to create the eighth wonder of the world ie. to make a really confusing movie using a strong story, fine actors and lavish budget. 

If you are not into reading books , you can still enjoy the drama, as it covers all aspect of books with great detailing. And for the movie watchers, even if you have read the novel it will only leave you bewildered. A fair warning : DON'T try to watch this movie if you have not read the novel. AND TO ALL THOSE POOR LAMBS WHO HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK AND HAD WATCHED THE MOVIE ALREADY: MY CONDOLENCES. 











6 comments:

  1. Hi Pratii, I love your writing about silent separation. It's so funny. Your last sentence cracked me up �� �� ��. I watched the drama, read the novel translation ( just some parts of it) and watched the movie. I must admit that I liked Wallace Yichen more than HXMs and Yang Mis Mosheng more than Tiffanys. But I must say that I'm happy about not showing the weird haircut Tiffanys in the movie. I prefer long hair movie Yang Mi more then weird haircut Tiffany.
    I think both, the movie and the drama were good at their own way.

    I would love it if other nationalitys would pick up this novel to film it. I'm from Turkey and living in Germany. I love Asian dramas and movies. I hope my wish comes true.

    Oh and thank you for your condolences �� �� ��.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thank you for the note. The thing is I made my husband watch this movie with me. On the side note he has neither read the novel nor watched the drama. From the beginning of the movie till the credits rolled up he incessantly asked me countless questions so by the end of the movie we both were down with headache. :( as for Yang Mi's haircut, It's not that they did not show us a short haired Mongsheng(yang mi) in the movie. N I also wish to see a better movie version of this novel.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow the movie! I really liked the book and the drama was alright....but I never saw the movie....probably for the best too :p
    Usually movie adoptions of books are not the best....
    but thanks for the review! I'll keep this in mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the drama!!! I thought that Tang Yan looked the best as MoSheng in both looks and acting wise. Her smiles reminded me of how Yimei described MoSheng dimpled smile.

    Also, a big clap for Wallace for making Yichen likeable, because the book is more towards Mosheng's point of view and hence Yichen came out very mysterious and too harsh at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, Wallace Huo. What a hottie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pratti,
    I share your views with the movie and the series.

    I thought it was just me but Tao in the movie got me really confused to the nth level. hahaha

    It was my first Wallace Chung series and my! he had sticked a flag on my heart. (sorry, but im a late bloomer in Cnovels and series)

    Thank you for your wonderful reviews and translation.

    your new fan,
    hugsandcakes

    ReplyDelete